A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones. (Proverbs 14:30 NIV84)
Other Verses to Note:
- 1 Samuel 18:1-4, 6-12
- 1 Samuel 19:1-6
- 1 Samuel 20:13-17, 20-23, 30-33, 41, 42
- Proverbs 14:30
- Make a list of all the things you have to be thankful for. Include people, places, possessions, situations, etc. Consider things that most people take for granted. Keep writing until you have at least twenty items. When you feel discontent or jealous, read this list and give thanks to God for His blessings. Consider how you could lend or give away some of these items to people who are less fortunate.
- Think of three situations in which you are likely to be jealous of others. Then consider ways you could be generous to the very people who often cause you to be jealous. Don’t do this as a way of getting back at them. Simply serve them and allow the Holy Spirit to change your attitudes.
- Why does comparing yourself to others often lead to jealousy?
- What are some healthy ways to observe others’ strengths without feeling bad about yourself?
- Why does putting others first make you feel more content than living selfishly?