Therefore, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring. (2 Thessalonians 1:4 NIV)
Other Verses to Note:
- Luke 23:3,8,9,27-30,33,34,43,46
- 1 Thessalonians 2:2,14-16
- 1 Thessalonians 3:1-7
- 2 Thessalonians 1:3-5
- 2 Thessalonians 3:1-2
- Think about a problem you are facing right now and what choices you can make to deal with it. Which choices will glorify God? Which actions and attitudes will help you avoid becoming bitter or spiritually defeated? Ask God to help you choose wisely.
- Write a list of at least five good things that can come from suffering. Include at least two character traits that can be developed through adversity. Think about how your example could positively impact others, as well as the ways suffering could could benefit your prayer and devotional time. Now write a list of people who might actually be watching you-and your reactions-when you are faced with tough times.
- What is it about God’s principles that causes so much resistance among unbelievers?
- How can suffering help you gain spiritual strength?
- How can the hope of spending eternity with God help you handle hard times?