17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. (James 2:17-18 NIV84)
Other Verses to Note:
- James 1:2-8, 12-15
- James 1:21-27
- James 2:1-4,8,9
- James 2:14-22,26
- James 3:3-11,17,18
- Consider your responsibility to those who have less than you do. Since true Christian faith requires action, think of one or two practical things you can do, personally or through ministries of your church, to help meet the needs of people in your community.
- Read James 1:13-15. Consider if you ever tend to blame others-even God-for the difficulties you face. Write down three specific temptations you encounter regularly. After each, describe how you might shift the blame for giving in to these temptations. Finally, describe how you could counteract the tendency to justify spiritually unhealthy actions. Use your notes as a prayer guide this week, asking God to help you overcome these temptations.
Respond: (AKA the new part of the post where you leave a comment answering one of the questions)
- Why is it important as Christians for our actions to match our beliefs?
- In what ways do we demonstrate our faith in Christ? How should your faith affect your actions?
- What kinds of things might fall under the category of speech when it comes to guarding against sin?