10 Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 1:10-11 NIV84)
Other Verses to Note:
- 2 Peter 1:3-11, 19-21
- 2 Peter 2:1-3, 10-14, 18, 19
- 2 Peter 3:8-14
- Jude 4, 20-25
- Consider the following biblical strategies for resisting false teachings: knowing God, studying His word, developing godly traits, avoiding prideful attitudes, praying in the Spirit, helping others, and expecting Christ’s return. Which of these strategies could you most improve on? Write a specific plan to grow in those areas. For example, you might start reading the Bible daily, change your attitude toward a teacher, or do something to help a new believer.
- List some specific, practical steps you could take to help new believers recognize and resist false teachings. Possibilities include starting spiritual discussions with them, bringing them to youth ministry activities, and providing them with a relevant teen devotional, such as Take Five Plus.
- Why do some people intentionally lie about spiritual things? What makes false teachers so deceiving?
- What are some ways to recognize false spiritual teachers?
- How can you better guard yourself against spiritual deception?