This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother. (1 John 3:10 NIV84)
Paul’s Key Verse:
The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever. (1 John 2:17 NIV84)
(Paul decided that this verse also fits with today’s lesson, therefore we’ve added a section for his “key verse”)
Other Verses to Note:
- 1 John 1:1 to 2:6
- 1 John 2:9-11, 15-17
- 1 John 3:4-6, 9, 13-18
- 1 John 4:7-11, 19-21
- 1 John 5:2, 3, 14, 15, 18
- Think of a person you find it difficult to be kind to. Map out a specific, practical plan of two or three items for reaching out to this person in love this week. Remember that these acts may not be received well, but it’s your responsibility to make the effort.
- You might have a lot of knowledge about God, but if you don’t truly know Him personally you can begin–or renew–that relationship with Him by asking Him to forgive your sins and take leadership in your life. Then determine to spend quality time in prayer and His Word getting to know Him better every day.
- What’s the difference between knowing about a person and actually knowing that person?
- What are some ways that God can help us not to continue living a habitually sinful life?
- What does it mean to love someone? How would you define love (not just romantic love)? What are some evidences of real love?